Friday, August 30, 2013

Delft

This past Tuesday I spent the afternoon in the city of Delft (of the famous Delftware). It was a gorgeous city, so old and full of history. I took the tram there which was my first venture on public transport here. The city is close enough to cycle to (about a 30 minute bike ride) but I had cycled far the previous day and decided to be lazy. It was easy to figure out the tram and it stopped right in front of Prinsenhof which was my first stop of the day. Prinsenhof is an old Catholic convent from the 14th century and in the latter half of the 16th century housed William of Orange for a few years and was where he was assassinated in 1584. They had a big exhibit on William of Orange and what was going on in the Netherlands at that time. They also had an exhibit on Delft artists and on Delftware. I was able to use my museumkaart there so it only cost €1! My next stop was to the Oude Kerk (Old Church) of Delft which was founded in 1245.
It was a gorgeous church which huge stained glass windows and had gravestones incorporated into the floor. The church is also where the painter Johannes Vermeer is buried.
 Then it was off to the Nieuw Kerk! 
The New Church
Mausoleum for William of Orange


















The New Church was founded in 1350 and completed in 1655. It too had beautiful stained glass windows, gravestones on the floor, and is were many members of the royal family are buried (including William of Orange). I paid the extra €2 to go up into the tower at the New Church. I'm glad I did! I had a fantastic view of the entire city. I of course bought some delftware while in the city, both for me and as presents for people. I will definitely be visiting Delft again and next time I'll have to go to the  Vermeer Centrum.
Town hall and the
center of Delft
The Old Church as seen from the tower of the New Church

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day! I see that blue and white all the time but never realized it was called Delftware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea me neither! It's funny because the Delftware was originally imitating Chinese porcelain but now there's "Delftware" made in China to be sold here

      Delete