Sunday, December 22, 2013

A look back at 2013

I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. It seems like just yesterday I was graduating from University of Maryland and driving down to Florida to spend Christmas with my family. But here I am, living in the Netherlands, and spending Christmas with my new Dutch family. This time last year being an au pair wasn't even in my plans but I'm so happy I decided to do it. These past 4 months have just been amazing; I've seen so many incredible sites and I think I'm so lucky to have this chance.

My map of the countries I've visited while I've been here

My favorite memories from 2013:

My graduation! Technically this was 2012 but it was so close to 2013 that it deserves to be included. This was such a huge milestone in my life and I'm so thankful for the support of my family that enabled me to get to that point.


Easter with just me and Tara home aka that time she brought brown eggs for us to paint and I ran out of eggs for baking twice. It was just so typical "us" and I miss spending time with her now that I'm here. 



Our hike in Great Falls Park. It was such beautiful scenery and great company! The image that sticks in my head is me and Mrs. Eppinger walking up ahead while my mom was cajoling Tara and Jackie to keep walking. But they both made it to the end!


Camping and hiking with Susan in Shenandoah was so much fun and the area was gorgeous. Even though we were scared to death when a bear cub came less than 20 feet from us and I got a bit scared going up the mountain it was still an awesome time. P.S. Thanks for the hand up a difficult part of the mountain, Sue!


Graduation "photo shoot" with two of my best friends. We've known each other since elementary school and now we're college graduates...I don't know where the time has gone! Miss you both so much!


Went to a few D.C. United games, USA v. Germany game and a Washington Nationals game!
Charlotte all decked out in USA/DC United gear...yes those
are USA sunglasses. Miss you!

Washington Nationals games exactly
a year apart...what a coincidence!

Getting to see my grandparents in Antwerp! I'm so happy I was able to meet them on one of their cruise stops. We had a delicious lunch and, of course, played a card game. 


Spending a weekend in Amsterdam with Susan! Here we are dressed up as Dutch cheese farmers...



Visiting Berlin and especially going to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. After studying the Holocaust and reading so many books and memoirs about it, I'm so thankful I got to see a concentration camp. It just makes everything you read much more real and vivid (I hope that made sense). 


Everything about Paris! My three days there were so much fun and way too short. I definitely want to go back!


And of course all the time I've spent with my host family here. My host parents couldn't have been more welcoming or warm towards me and I'm so happy I'll be with them for another eight months. The boys are so sweet (well most of the time haha) and I have so much fun when I'm taking care of them. 

That's it for my look back...looking forward to what 2014 has in store! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!



2 comments:

  1. We miss you but we're so glad for the amazing year you've had and all the memories you'll be making in 2014!

    ReplyDelete